An 11-year-old boy suffered severe burns to half of his body after an e-bike battery that was charging in his bedroom caught fire on Monday.
Aviel Dabush was dragged out of his burning room in a residential building in Netanya and rushed to Sheba Medical Center in Ramat Gan, unconscious and in serious condition.
Six other people were injured in the explosion. A 42-year-old man suffered minor injuries from smoke inhalation and five others, including Dabush’s mother and sister, suffered minor injuries. They were evacuated to Laniado Hospital in Netanya, the Magen David Adom emergency department said.
An initial investigation into the incident confirmed that the fire was caused by the lithium battery which caught fire while charging, the fire and rescue service said.
“The battery of an electric bicycle used by his older brother who sleeps in the same room as him was charging at the time and apparently exploded,” Dabush’s sister Daniela told the Walla news site.
“We’ve heard about things like this, and that it’s dangerous,” she added. “They were generally very cautious. My mother did not allow these batteries to be brought inside the house and they were usually kept [outside] on the balcony.”
— כאן חדשות (@kann_news) August 1, 2022
The use of lithium batteries has increased dramatically in recent years as two-wheeled electric vehicles have become increasingly popular.
These batteries are said to have started fires in the past.
In September, a 12-year-old boy died after a fire engulfed his home in Petah Tikva. The fire was also believed to have been caused by an unattended or faulty electric scooter battery charging in the living room.