A toddler has died in a horror fire after his family’s Christmas tree caught fire.
Ginevra’s desperate mother Gioia Manganello, two, was driven back by flames at the family home in Sicily as she tried to save her daughter.
Little Ginevra was sleeping in a bed on the top floor of her family’s house when the fire broke out around 8 p.m.
Her mother and aunt were on the ground floor of the house in the historic center of the city of Palma di Montechiaro.
As soon as they realized what was going on, they immediately tried to reach her.
But tragically, they were driven back by large flames and were unable to save Ginerva.
By the time the firefighters managed to fight off the flames and smoke, there was nothing that could be done to save her.
Poignant scenes are said to have unfolded outside the building, with family members and friends trying to support the child’s distraught mother.
Ginevra leaves behind her two parents, who have not been named, and five siblings after Tuesday night’s tragedy.
Last week, nine people died in a building collapse in the town of Ravanusa following a gas explosion, also in the province of Agrigento.
“It’s a terrible moment,” Stefano Castellino, mayor of Palma di Montechiaro, told local media.
“We just had the events of Ravanusa, and now we mourn a new victim here.”
The fire is currently believed to have started as a result of an electrical short in the Christmas tree.
It then spread to the rest of the apartment in the three-story building.
Firefighters are also looking into the possibility that this was caused by a faulty stove.
The public prosecutor’s office of the province of Agrigento, headed by Luigi Patronaggio, has opened an investigation into the fire.