Andrew Burfield charged with murder

A man has been charged with the murder of Katie Kenyon. (PENNSYLVANIA)

A 50-year-old man has been charged with the murder of missing mother-of-two Katie Kenyon.

Ms Kenyon, 33, has not been seen since Friday morning when Lancashire Police believe she traveled in a van from Burnley.

Andrew Burfield, 50, of Todmorden Road in the city, was charged with her murder on Wednesday.

He is due to appear in Blackburn Magistrates’ Court this morning.

Ms Kenyon was last seen on Friday getting into a Ford Transit van in Burnley, Lancashire.

Ms Kenyon’s search involved more than 60 officers, search dogs and an aircraft, and focused on the dense Gisburn Forest in the Ribble Valley – measuring over 1,200 hectares (2,965 acres or more). 4.6 square miles) – and popular with walkers and cyclists.

The search for Ms Kenyon involved more than 60 officers, search dogs and an aircraft.  (SWNS)

The search for Ms Kenyon involved more than 60 officers, search dogs and an aircraft. (SWNS)

A sign at Gisburn Forest Hub when looking for Katie Kenyon.  (SWNS)

A sign at Gisburn Forest Hub when looking for Katie Kenyon. (SWNS)

Officers from Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside and North Wales Police Force are scouring the area, assisted by Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service and Bowland Pennine Mountain Rescue Team.

Police on Wednesday dashed hopes of finding her alive, after announcing they were treating the investigation as a murder investigation.

Detective Superintendent Gary Brooks, Major Crimes Chief of Lancashire Police, said: ‘Although I have a slim hope that Katie could still be found alive, I am sad to say that Katie has now been missing for over four days.

“Despite extensive police investigations and calls from the media, we have not found Katie and there have been no sightings of Katie.

Officers from Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside and North Wales police forces are scouring the area.  (SWNS)

Officers from Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside and North Wales police forces are scouring the area. (SWNS)

“We spoke to Katie’s family today and they are understandably extremely upset with this latest development and I have officers who continue to offer them support. My thoughts are with them at this time.

“I am truly grateful for all the help members of the public have given us so far and I will continue to call on anyone with even minimal information to come forward and speak to us. Although we have someone under arrest, our investigations are ongoing.”

He added: “I am aware that many members of the public have offered to help us with this research and while I am grateful for that, I would dissuade anyone from doing so.

Police announced on Wednesday that they are treating the investigation as a murder investigation.  (SWNS)

Police announced on Wednesday that they are treating the investigation as a murder investigation. (SWNS)

“The area we are looking for is very large and isolated, with no phone signal.

“Police teams are trained professionals who are used to doing this kind of work and I would hate for anyone to get lost or injured trying to help. Please leave it to us.

Police said her family, who said Ms Kenyon’s disappearance was irrelevant, thanked supporters for their support but asked people to respect their privacy at this time.