Corn on the cob fire continues to burn in Tipton County days later – WISH-TV | Indianapolis News | Indiana weather

WINDFALL, Indiana (WISH) – A ‘stubborn’ corn cob pile fire first reported on Saturday morning continued to smolder on Thursday and caused health problems for some nearby residents, according to the Wildcat Township Fire- Rescue-EMS.

Five fire departments were first dispatched to the fire around 8:45 a.m. Saturday in the 3200 block of State Road 213. It’s just south of the town of Windfall and about an hour’s drive north of ‘Indianapolis. Windfall has around 700 residents.

The blaze was caused by spontaneous combustion, weather conditions and damp corn on the cob creating “the perfect conditions,” the Wildcat Township Fire-Rescue-EMS said in a Facebook post.

“The forecast for the next few days shows southerly winds, so Windfall will be affected at least until the 25th when it will shift from south to north with some rain,” the post said.

The Township of Wildcat Fire and Rescue Service has kept residents informed of the blaze due to its smell and smoke. On Thursday, the Tipton County Health Department and the American Red Cross agreed to help all residents affected by the smoke; they were asked to call 800-733-2767. A poster on the Wildcat Township Fire-Rescue-EMS Facebook page complained of chest tightness, nausea and headaches from the smell of smoke.

Wildcat Township Fire-Rescue-EMS Facebook page was used to keep residents informed of the fire. The latest update on Wednesday said firefighters were working nearly 24 hours a day trying to get the battery to burn faster, and had consulted with the Indiana Department of Environmental Management and other agencies. for help.

The fire and rescue team estimated that more than 300,000 gallons of water had been used on the blaze on Wednesday evening, and a decision was made to no longer deplete local water resources to fight the blaze .

Source link