Firefighters save three people from burning house in Leigh

A working smoke detector saved the lives of three people after alerting them to a fire in their home.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) teams from Hindley, Leigh and Atherton were called to a semi-detached house on Ashley Drive in Leigh just before 11 p.m. on Sunday 21 November.

Firefighters got to the scene quickly and were confronted with a well-developed fire in the upstairs front bedroom, with a large amount of smoke and flames. Firefighters entered the house and rescued the three people, while other crew members fought the blaze in the room.

Firefighters managed to extinguish the blaze and kept it from spreading to other rooms and the house next door.

It is suspected that the fire was caused by smoking material thrown on a bed.

The occupants of the neighboring house were also evacuated by the teams because of the smoke in their property.

GMFRS station manager for Wigan, Chris Evans, said: “If it hadn’t been for the smoke detector alerting residents to this serious fire, the outcome could have been much worse. This incident is a reminder to make sure there are working smoke detectors on every floor of your property.

“The swift action of our firefighters saved lives as the three residents were able to escape the property, and I want to thank the crews for their hard work.”

After the rescue, crews provided first aid and oxygen therapy to the occupants, before crews from the North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) took over and transferred them to hospital.

For advice on fire safety and more information on smoke detectors, please visit manchesterfire.gov.uk.

Source link