The M66 forced to close following a “serious” accident involving six vehicles


A section of the M66 was closed after a vehicle overturned following a “serious” accident this evening (September 25).

Emergency services were called to junction three near Pilsworth, Bury, around 8:30 p.m. this evening.

A man was released from a van following the crash on the southbound carriageway, the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) said.

Six vehicles were involved in the incident, according to a spokesperson.

Highways England said a vehicle also rolled over as a result of the collision.

READ MORE:

Police, paramedics and firefighters are all currently on the scene.

The extent of the injuries is not yet known, but GMFRS said the man cut from the van had been placed in the care of paramedics.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) have been approached for comment.

All traffic was temporarily halted while emergency services dealt with the aftermath.

There is now an “up and over” closure in place, with drivers having to exit at junction 3 and join the freeway on the other side.

One lane is also closed on the north side of the carriageway.

According to the Inrix traffic department, these are emergency repairs.

A GMFRS spokesperson said: “At around 8:30 pm on Saturday September 25, firefighters were called to report a road collision on the southbound M66 near junction 3.

“Three fire trucks from the Blackley, Bury and Broughton fire stations, as well as Ashton’s technical rescue unit, quickly attended to the incident.

“The collision involved six vehicles.

“Firefighters used specialized equipment to extract a man from one of the vehicles, which was then placed in the care of colleagues from the North West Ambulance Service (NWAS).

“The GMFRS teams remain on the spot. “

Sign up for MEN newsletters to get the latest sports news, news, current affairs and more by following this link.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*